CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Teaching

For the first time since starting the blog, I am already behind!  So, Monday, Brent had his 2nd speech class at the public school.  He seems to really be enjoying it and is working on a few words!  Yay for talking!  While he was in speech, I went to volunteer in the pre-k room.

Wow, I really miss teaching.  The odd thing is, walking into this other teacher's classroom and "jumping right in," I felt more at ease and confident than ever.  I have thought about this and decided that when I was a first year teacher (6 years ago?!? gasp...) parents were the scariest part of my job.  I didn't want them to doubt me, some did.  I had absolutely no self-confidence while dealing with pushy parents and unfortunately, "Dealing with Parents" was not a college course offered in education.  It should be.  Now, I have this new-found confidence, and I watch the teacher, who is obviously a "young first-year," with sympathetic eyes.  Funny how having a kid can make you feel so accomplished and experienced. 

However, while I really enjoyed my time in the classroom, I was also reminded as to why I never, ever, ever want to work in a public school again.  In a group of 18 children, she had 4 who were constantly so disruptive and disrespectful I am not sure how I would have handled it myself.  At one point, a child shared the fact that she "did not give a shit" that the teacher took away privileges.   The assistant then had to physically restrain the child for lashing out.  I must admit, I would have called the principal.  This pre-k room only started 3 weeks ago, but still, I would never expect behavior at this level from 4-year olds!

Brent continues to be an "outstanding" 3-year old.  Sure, he has the occasional tantrum, but he actually gets over it much more quickly!  He has done several funny things over the last three days, but I will have to start writing this stuff down.  Once bedtime rolls around, my memory of the day completely fades!









0 comments:

Post a Comment