CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rock, Paper, Scissors

Yesterday, I got done getting dressed and Brent enthusiastically pulled me into the computer room.  On the desk, he showed me 3 post-it notes that he had scribbled on.  I said a silent thank you that our furniture and wall were spared.  Then he held up three empty spools of ribbon - which were in a heap on the floor...and upon closer inspection, I discovered cut into tiny pieces with scissors.  Next to those, lay a pile of papers I had been working on that also had nice little diagonal slits cut into the sides.  As I took a deep breath to think about how to handle this I was thinking: 1) we leave the pens and scissors in a cup on the desk where he can get to them, he had just never shown any interest before so it is our fault, 2) he must be using scissors at school, 3) his cuts are very nice and uniform, 4)....  a voice interrupts my thoughts: "MAMA!  Me cut, 'ike 'ool, yeah!"  ("Me cut like school, yeah!").  I asked him if he was using scissors at school and he enthusiastically said yes while holding the paper in a Vanna White-like style.  All I could do was tell him that I appreciated his hard work, but that was Mama's ribbon, paper, and scissors.  I reassured him that we would get him his own pair of scissors, but he could only use them when I was watching because he could get hurt since they are sharp.  He seemed happy and even ended the conversation by pointing at the scissors and pen and saying, "No 'ine, Mama's, yes!" ("Not mine, Mama's yes!")  Generally, when he shows me understanding this way I don't have to worry about him misbehaving again.

I. was. wrong.

Today I walked in on him cutting another piece of ribbon.  Too tempting, I know.  This must be a skill he feels the need to practice.  They are tiny scissors, and rather dull.  The ribbon can be replaced.  I am not mad at him for his curiosity and craving to learn, practice, and play.  I just worry about him using scissors unsupervised.  I placed the scissors in a drawer, but left the pens out.  Hopefully, I won't regret this.

As parents, we often try to hide, cover up, or get rid of things we don't want our young children to touch/break/explore/eat/get hurt by/etc.  However, we really need to remember that the best way to learn is for a child to do.  If a childhood is spent well-protected but only being told not to do something, chances are, that child will not have learned the meaning of conseqences.  We need to try our best to childproof for our children's safety, but not take away everything that could teach them how to learn from their mistakes.  We should take the time to explain to our child(ren) why we must (or cannot) do something- but expect that they will (or will not) out of curiosity.  Then, provide a consequence related to the action so they learn from the experience.

On a funny note, Matt was home later than usual tonight and Brent was ready to eat dinner.  He told me, "Call Yaya!  I eat!"  I told him I was not going to but he could.  The moment Matt answers the phone, Brent matter-of-factly says, "Yaya, my house, NOW!" then hands me the phone.  He is a man of few words, but he definitely gets his point across!

0 comments:

Post a Comment